A properly vented attic is a key element in maintaining the health of your roofing shingles, and extending the life of your roof. A fall attic ventilation inspection will help prevent bigger problems over the winter and so it should be an important part of your fall roofing maintenance.
Adequate attic ventilation:
- Helps to prevent moisture buildup in the winter, which can lead to mold, mildew, wood rot and poor indoor air quality. It also helps in preventing the formation of ice dams.
- Helps to prevent heat buildup in the summer, improving the comfort level inside your home, minimizing air conditioning costs, and extending the useful life of your roofing materials.
- Is an important element in validating the terms of most shingle warranties.
Fall Roofing Maintenance: Pre-Winter Attic Ventilation Check
- First, check your attic for signs of moisture. Soggy insulation, condensation on the ceiling, rust around the vents, or moldy odors in the attic are often the result of poor ventilation.
- Next, clear away any dirt or debris from the attic vents. Make sure the vents aren’t blocked with boxes or other items that may be stored in the attic. You’ll also want to look for bird nests or evidence of rodents.
- Check to ensure all your attic vents are open, regardless of the season. While it may sound counter-intuitive, a properly ventilated attic should be drafty during the winter.
- Check any attic fans to make sure the blades turn freely. Use caution, as many fan blades can be very sharp.
- Now it is also a good opportunity to make sure your attic has an adequate amount of ventilation space. The size of your vents is based on the square footage of the attic. Have your local Leesburg Virginia roofing contractor check whether your vent space is appropriate.
Attic ventilation is a significant part of a healthy roof system yet it’s often overlooked. While you may know that attic ventilation helps control indoor temperature and saves energy costs, you may not realize that improper ventilation can damage your roof, create ice dams and reduce your roof’s overall lifespan.
Check With a Professional Roofer
Here at Mid Atlantic Construction & Technology, we pride ourselves with expertise at making your homeenergy efficient, affordable and ready to withstand the elements. After all, we’ve been inspecting, repairing, and replacing roofs for nearly 30 years.
Please give us a call at 5714713533 for a no obligation consultation & estimate. We’ll be happy to help with any of your roofing needs.