|— Town —|
The Lovettsville area by night
Location within the state of Virginia
|Coordinates: 39°16.4′N 77°38.4′W / 39.2733°N 77.64°W / 39.2733; -77.64Coordinates: 39°16.4′N 77°38.4′W / 39.2733°N 77.64°W / 39.2733; -77.64|
|• Mayor||Robert Zoldos II|
|• Vice Mayor||Michael Senate|
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||505 ft (154 m)|
|• Density||980.9/sq mi (378.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1495879|
Following the 1722 Treaty of St. Albans which established the Blue Ridge Mountains as the buffer between Native Americans and white settlers, German immigrants began arriving in the northern Loudoun Valley to farm the rich topsoil. They established several villages, many constructed of log and wooden buildings, and began to expand their land holdings. Lovettsville was then called The German Settlement.
In 1820 David Lovett subdivided his property into quarter-acre “city lots.” As a result of the ensuing construction boom, the town was called Newtown. In 1828, the town was again renamed Lovettsville. In 1836 the Virginia General Assembly established Lovettsville as a town, but the town was not fully incorporated until 1876.
Lovettsville is located at
39°16.4′N 77°38.4′W / 39.2733°N 77.64°W / 39.2733; -77.64 (39.2728, -77.6399).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 853 people, 318 households, and 229 families residing in the town. The population density was 980.9 people per square mile (378.6/km²). There were 325 housing units at an average density of 373.7 per square mile (144.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.66% White, 2.46% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.70% from other races, and 0.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.64% of the population. 18.4% were of American, 18.4% German, 17.2% Irish and 9.6% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 318 households out of which 40.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.7% were non-families. 24.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.4% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $58,942, and the median income for a family was $63,750. Males had a median income of $49,545 versus $34,896 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,098. None of the families and 2.9% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 5.9% of those over 64.
- ^ a b “Mayor and Town Council”. The Town of Lovettsville. Lovettsville, Virginia. http://www.lovettsvilleva.gov/default.asp?ContentID=13. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- ^ a b “American FactFinder”. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- ^ “US Board on Geographic Names”. United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- ^ “American FactFinder”. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=&geo_id=16000US5147208&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US51.
- ^ “US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990”. United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
 External links
- Town of Lovettsville Official Website
- Lovettsville – A German Settlement
- Lovettsville Business Association
- Purcellville Gazette – weekly newspaper whose delivery area includes Lovettsville